Offbeat Northern Wallachia: Day Tour from Bucharest to Târgoviște
If you are looking for a day trip out of Bucharest and you’ve already been to the highly sought-after attractions Peles Castle and Bran Castle (if not, see my tour https://unknownbucharest.com/sinaia-bran-castle-brasov-1-day-tour/), then consider this less-traveled, offbeat itinerary to the historic town of Târgoviște. This small, quiet town is the early capital city of the medieval Principality of Wallachia, southern part of modern-day Romania, from where some of the first Romanian princes ruled, including the famous Prince Vlad Dracula.
Targoviste is located near the southern fringes of the Carpathian Mountains, 80 km north-west of Bucharest.
Tour type: history, heritage, culture
• The vestiges of the Princely Court of Wallachia. The museum complex includes walls and vaults dating between 14th-16th century and the Princely Church with superb Byzantine style frescoes.
• Dealu Monastery – located on a hill in the proximity of the town, one of the most important monuments of religious architecture in Wallachia and princely necropolis
• The Museum of Printing and Old Romanian Book
• The local garrison, the place where the former communist ruler Nicolae Ceausescu and his wife spent their last days, and where the dramatic trial and execution of the couple took place.
Duration approx. 9 hours
Price 160 EUR/tour/1-2 people, 180 EUR/tour/3 people, please send your inquiry for larger groups
Activity level medium physical demands -only a few steps to climb
– driver/guide fee
– transportation by personal car, a 2014 Volkswagen Golf, air conditioned, fully insured for up to 4 persons/ air conditioned minivan for larger groups
– all parking fees and fuel
– admission fees (approx. 7 EUR/person the cost of all admission fees)
– the food & drink you choose to buy; consider the cost of 2-course meal and drink to a local traditional restaurant around 70 Lei/person, or 16 Eur/person
– photo fees and any other personal expenses (around 3 EUR/person)
Pick-up, drop-off at your hotel or other location in Bucharest, at 8:00 am or as previously agreed upon
We explore the vestiges of the Princely Court of Wallachia (14th-16th centuries), learn about the fascinating prince and hero Vlad Dracula, and admire the superb frescoes of the 16th century Princely Church. In town there are a couple of beautiful monasteries -outstanding historical and medieval art monuments that we will see. Also in Targoviste there is the garrison where the communist dictator Nicolae Ceausescu and his wife spent their last days before being executed in December 1989 during the anticommunist revolution. If time allows, we may visit the workshop and memorial house of one of the most prominent Romanian painters, Gheorghe Petrascu.