Old Pictures of Bucharest (30) » Roma Square and Lipscani Street, Bucharest 1928
This is a picture from 1928 of the now-vanished Roma Square at the Eastern end of Lipscani Street, a few years before the square being cut through by the new south-north axis of the city. Lipscani has been the main street of, and gave its name to, Bucharest’s historic district.
The small statue seen in the middle of the square, in the picture, is a replica of the Capitoline She-Wolf, a gift to Bucharest from the city of Rome, hence the name of the square. The gift was made in 1906, with the occasion of the celebration of 1800 years since the Roman conquest of Dacia, the ancient kingdom that existed on the territory of present-day Romania. The area changed, but the statue can still be seen on its original site.
If interested in discovering the Bucharest’s historic district, the oldest and most enticing area of the city, check out this guided Historic Downtown Bucharest – Walking Tour.